NEW STUDENTS are welcome in our WIND SYMPHONY! Please contact us to schedule an audition.
Woodwinds and Brass:
- 2 octave chromatic scale – ascending and descending – beginning on low Bb
- Major scales: C, F, Bb, Eb, G, D, A
Woodwinds: two octaves, three when possible
Brass: two octaves, one when not possible
- One solo piece chosen by the student. See below for suggestions.
- Short sight-reading excerpt.
- One piece from the standard repertoire for the Timpani. Bring a copy for the adjudicator.
- One piece from the standard repertoire for the Snare Drum (etudes acceptable). Bring a copy.
- Be prepared to play a closed and/or open roll on the snare drum at various dynamics.
- Sight reading
- Two contrasting works chosen by the candidate. See below for suggestions.
Suggestions for the solo audition piece:
The piece should demonstrate your best ability at the moment. Preferably, it should show good fingering technique, control over the sound, the ability to play different dynamics, and using a wider range of your instruments.