Summer Location: St. Peter’s Episcopal Church (215 Boulevard, Mountain Lakes)
11am Beginner Summer Class
- Know the parts of your violin and bow (pg.2) of Essential Elements Book I.
- Practice resting position-remember to tuck the violin underneath your right elbow!
- Practice holding your violin in playing position. Note: Scroll should be pointed towards 10 o’clock! Try holding the violin over your left shoulder without any hands!
- Practice pizzicato (plucking) pg.4.
Note: please look only on page 1 of the following link for reference: Playing position pics
- French Folk Song Essential Elements: French Folk Song
- Ode to Joy pg.23
- Review the notes on the music staff (use pg.2 for reference): https://docs.
google.com/document/d/1X0hfXj- jRG2zvpOF_ cbAGKRSdnXIIPa2K72G9sfHUVE/ edit
- Practice with bow pg.5 in Essential Elements Book. Make sure to stay silent on the quarter rests!
- Practice holding the your instrument up by the neck, and put 3 fingers down on D string. New Notes “G, F#, and E”- Pg.6-7, #10, 11, 14. Note- please use the following link for reference: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X0hfXj-jRG2zvpOF_cbAGKRSdnXIIPa2K72G9sfHUVE/edit Tips:
- Wave ‘hello’ to yourself, and make a “V” shape with your left hand. Put it under the neck, and align your “V” with your 1st finger sticker.
- Keep a straight thumb
- Make sure to have a mouse hole on the bottom of that “V!”
- No hot stove!
- Tuck the elbow under the violin.
- Practice your bow hold. Tip: make sure both your thumb and pinky are curved!
- Practice playing your G, D, A and E strings with the bow: Mississippi Hot Dog Tips:
- Keep the bow straight in between your bridge and fingerboard.
- Garage doors (lifting/angling your right arm): E for closed door, A to let the skateboard out, D for the bike, and G for the minivan!
- Make sure to keep a good bow hold the ENTIRE time you’re playing!